Our Service Areas
Sophisticated Legal Services & Veterans Advocacy
Our team at West & Dunn aims to provide the high-quality legal guidance you need to succeed. Each of our accomplished attorneys brings a unique perspective to our practice. This multifaceted blend of experience enables us to offer a wide range of services to individuals and businesses in Wisconsin, across the nation, and around the world.
Our attorneys at West & Dunn can assist you with:
- Veterans disability benefits: Veterans of the United States Armed Forces often struggle to access service-connected disability benefits. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ systems are notoriously difficult to navigate, and many claims are denied as the result of avoidable mistakes. Our team helps veterans and their families appeal denials of service connection and increase evaluations assigned by VA. We advocate for veterans before the VA Regional Offices, the Board of Veterans Appeals, the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court. We are prepared to serve as your guides and advocates and will work tirelessly to help you obtain the disability benefits you need and deserve.
- Criminal defense: Being arrested and charged with a crime can be unimaginably stressful, and depending on the nature and severity of the charges, your reputation and freedom may be at stake. You are innocent until proven guilty, but you will likely need capable legal professionals to aggressively defend your rights. Our experienced lawyers have represented hundreds of clients in criminal matters tried in state and federal courts. We are especially well-versed in cases involving self-defense, DUI charges, and criminal traffic offenses.
- Civil litigation: We recognize that litigation is costly and should ideally be avoided whenever possible. When faced with the prospect of civil litigation, our team can carefully evaluate your specific circumstances and advise how best to move forward. Where possible, we can explore alternative dispute resolution mechanisms and recommend strategies for reducing or avoiding risk. Should litigation become unavoidable, we will aggressively fight to protect and advance your interests. We have represented clients in civil matters involving commercial law, employment law, real estate law, construction law, franchise law, collection matters, and more.
- Appellate litigation: Our team of litigators is extensively familiar with state and federal appellate processes and can provide the comprehensive guidance you need when defending a favorable ruling or fighting an adverse decision. Our litigators are admitted to practice before the Wisconsin courts of appeals, Wisconsin Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and U.S. Supreme Court.
- Municipal law: Our attorneys thoroughly understand the legal intricacies of Wisconsin’s many municipalities and can partner with local government bodies, elected officials, and other government employees. We regularly advise on compliance matters and can also assist with issues of employment law, land use, environmental law, and more. We also routinely represent individual and business clients before municipal bodies, including in matters related to zoning, property development, and ordinance compliance.
- Business law: We provide broad spectrum representation to our corporate clients in all of their business endeavors, from assisting entrepreneurs with new business entity formation to helping seasoned businessowners develop exit strategies and winding-up operations. Our team routinely counsels business owners in matters of risk mitigation and litigation avoidance, and we also offer contracting services, transactional guidance, litigation support, and more.
- Bankruptcy: Our firm regularly facilitates debt relief for individuals and businesses through the filing of Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 bankruptcy petitions. We can assess your current financial circumstances and determine what type of bankruptcy is right for you. Our team will assist you throughout each stage of the applicable process and work to secure maximum relief in your case. If bankruptcy is not the appropriate course of action for your situation, we can also assist with other potentially available remedies, including Wisconsin Chapter 128 Actions.