Business Attorneys Based in Wisconsin
Types of Business Legal Counsel Services We Offer
West & Dunn is prepared to assist businesses on an hourly basis or work on retainer. Whether you are a fresh start-up or a corporation with hundreds of employees, our firm has the knowledge, resources, and drive to effectively represent you in all of your endeavors.
Our Wisconsin business lawyers can assist you with:
- Transactions: We regularly advise corporate clients on a variety of transactional concerns. We can help your business navigate both routine and complex transactions, including stock purchases, sales, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Contracts: Legal agreements establish relationships between a business and its employees, contractors, suppliers, clients, and all other parties. They must be carefully prepared to ensure they reflect and protect your company’s interests. Our attorneys can draft, negotiate, review, and finalize a wide spectrum of documents, including operating agreements, non-disclosure agreements, non-compete agreements, severance agreements, purchase & sale agreements, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, and more.
- Winding-up operations: When a business venture has run its course and you are ready to exit, our firm can assist you with dissolution efforts, including creditor settlements, stock sales, and asset liquidation.
- Risk mitigation and litigation avoidance: Going to court consumes valuable resources and often distracts from company initiatives. Our firm emphasizes efficient conflict resolution and litigation avoidance wherever possible. This can include recommending risk mitigation measures that reduce the likelihood of damaging legal action.
- Civil litigation: Litigation is unfortunately not always avoidable. Our legal team is made of fierce litigators who have a strong record of delivering successful results in complex commercial disputes. Whether your business has been named in a civil lawsuit or you wish to pursue legal action against another party, our firm can aggressively advocate for your interests in and out of the courtroom.
- Municipal guidance: Municipal law can often impact a business’s ability to enter a market, operate, and expand. Our firm is familiar with the nuances of Wisconsin municipalities and can leverage our extensive understanding to benefit your business. We can assist with local government outreach and advise on all types of municipal concerns, including matters involving zoning, land use, and environmental law.
- Partnerships and Limited Partnerships (LPs): In an LP, “general partners” own and operate the business, but they also assume some personal liability. “Limited partners” act purely as investors, do not control the business’s operations, and assume fewer liabilities. LPs often allow general partners to efficiently attract investors.
- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs): LLCs are a popular choice for small business owners and can be extremely flexible. Owners avoid most personal liability and can choose how they wish to be taxed. They are also subject to fewer reporting requirements.
- Corporations: Corporations can be simple or complex legal entities that consist of shareholders, a board of directors, and company officers. Corporations enjoy many potential tax benefits but are heavily regulated. They also must comply with strict recordkeeping and reporting requirements.
Every business needs a strong foundation. If you are looking to build a company from the ground up, you will need to select the business entity that is consistent with your goals for the enterprise. Several types of business entities are available, and each has its own set of characteristics and advantages. Your choice of entity will impact how the company will be taxed, how the business will be structured, how much personal liability you will incur, and more.
When forming a new business, you will often want to establish bylaws or an operating agreement. You will also need to register the company with Wisconsin’s Department of Revenue and Department of Financial Institutions. Our Wisconsin business attorneys can guide you through each step of the formation process, prepare all necessary documentation, and ensure all regulatory requirements are met.
Sophisticated Legal Counsel Madison, Wisconsin Dells, and Manitowoc
Businesses across all types of industries face obstacles and challenges throughout all stages of development. Retaining effective legal representation can help companies mitigate risks, navigate challenges, prepare for growth, and avoid litigation. Our lawyers provide a wide range of corporate counsel services to businesses of all sizes, and we regularly assist with formations, transactions, contracting, wind up operations, and more. Our experienced team at West & Dunn is invested in the success of our clients, and we are dedicated to providing high-quality legal services that are tailored to your enterprise’s unique needs. We are ready to serve as your trusted legal partner and help your business achieve its short- and long-term goals.
I am grateful they took my case and I highly recommend them.- Andrew L.
An outstanding representative for all veterans.- Dr. R.
This firm is very knowledgeable in VA Laws and Regulations, understanding that every case is unique to the individual.- Ray Reid
The professional skills and commitment Attorney Dunn has consistently shown in each of my appeals is confirmed by her success.- Tedd Welch, Vietnam Veteran
They were extremely responsive, professional and honest.- Michael B.