All the know-how of a lawyer with the discipline of an Army Ranger.
Travis James West is a founding partner of West & Dunn, a law firm dedicated to providing high quality legal services to individuals and businesses, with a particular focus on assisting the veterans of the United States Military Services. Like many attorneys, Travis spent years developing the skills he needed to become a successful litigator. Unlike most attorneys, however, Travis also served as a member of the Army’s elite 75th Ranger Regiment. He is a highly skilled and experienced attorney with the character and discipline of an elite special operations veteran.
Travis has represented corporate and individual clients in complex business and commercial litigation, product liability litigation, regulatory actions, employment disputes, criminal, and collection matters. In addition, a generous portion of his practice focuses on assisting fellow veterans with VA disability claims. He uses his litigation expertise to represent veterans before the Board of Veterans Appeals, Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, and the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Travis is a member of the National Organization of Veterans Advocates ("NOVA"), and serves on the organization's Amicus and Litigation Committee.
In addition to his law practice, Travis has served as the president of the US Army Ranger Association since 2014. In that capacity he has participated as a member of the the Ranger Hall of Fame Voting Committee as well as the National Ranger Memorial Foundation Executive Council. He also maintains memberships with the 75th Ranger Regiment Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars ("VFW"), and Disabled American Veterans ("DAV").
Travis lives in Madison, Wisconsin. As an outdoor enthusiast, when not working he can often be found sailing the waters of the upper Midwest or exploring the trails and woods of Wisconsin.
- Successfully defended and coordinated defense of warranty and Magnusson Moss claims filed against construction materials manufacturer in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa.
- Successfully defended claims in Wisconsin, Arizona, and Florida from attempts by plaintiffs in products liability actions to assert directly liability against shareholders of manufacturing corporation.
- Obtained favorable settlement of financial institution’s claims against real estate developer and property owners following collapse of condominium development project.
- Assisted corporate client in overcoming sovereign immunity to establish jurisdictional standing for the purpose of pursuing quasi-contract claims against the State of Wisconsin.
- Successfully defended claims by former executive of non-payment of bonuses and commissions by client.
- Obtained successful recovery of substantial funds of clients that were lost or stolen through fraudulent or otherwise unlawful conduct by entities in which clients’ had invested.
- Obtained favorable outcome for client in product liability matter following jury trial, which was the only victory recognized in 2009 by the Wisconsin Law Journal as a significant defense verdict in a product liability matter.
- Provided successful defense for multiple corporate defendants against claims of discrimination on the basis of race and gender.
- Successfully negotiated the resolution of defamation claims involving allegations of a sensitive nature to clients’ personal and professional well being.
- Negotiated early resolution of multiple cases before the US Court of Appeals for Veterans claims, including having obtained the agreements from the Office of General Counsel for remand, thereby expediting the ultimate resolution of veterans’ claims for disability benefits.
- Obtained favorable decision for veteran from the Board of Veterans Appeals with respect to a case that had been pending before the US Department of Veterans Affairs for more than a decade.
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
State of Wisconsin
US Supreme Court
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
US District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
US Department of Veterans Affairs
Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminant Rating
Superlawyers Magazine: Rising Star 2011-2017
Wisconsin Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Society 2013-2014
University of Wisconsin Law School / 2006
University of Wisconsin / 1998